PRESS RELEASE July 29, 2014
By Wil Flack
2014 TRES PESCADOS SLAM TOURNAMENT WRAP-UP
The 6th Annual Tres Pescados Slam Tournament was a huge success thanks to all the anglers and sponsors that participated in Belize's largest ever fly-fishing tournament. Hats off to Team Yellow Dog Flyfishing for not only slamming on the first day but holding their ground on day 2 & 3 to bring home first place and the coveted slam trophy.
Day one saw beautiful weather and wind from the East as teams rallied early to make the most of the conditions. All three species were caught the first day, with Team YELLOW DOG capturing the first slam of the contest and gaining those valuable bonus points. A three way tie for second and two teams tied for third place was sure to make day two interesting.
The second morning brought similar weather conditions and teams pushed early on to catch the all important slam. Both permit and tarpon saw the scoreboard as well as numerous bonefish. Team AM FILMS closed the gap on leaders YELLOW DOG with three permit landed and needed only the tarpon on the final day to make things interesting.
Final morning brought some early rain showers and cloudy skies making the fishing difficult and frustrating. Leader board at the top had YELLOW DOG in the lead, trailed closely by AM FILMS in second and TARPON MANIACS rounding out the top three. Tide played a huge factor during the final day as water was held off the flats by the north wind. In the end Team YD prevailed and was crowned the 2014 Grand Champions.
Huge thanks to everyone involved in making this an historic event. Come join us next year for the 2015 Tres Pescados Slam Tournament August 6 - 8th in beautiful San Pedro, Belize.
Tournament Results 2014
- 1st - Yellowdog Flyfishing - Shaun Lawson & Doug McKnight - 1,650 pts - $2,500US
- 2nd - AM Films - Adam Marton - 1,275 pts - $1,500US
- 3rd - Tarpon Maniacs - Raul Casaneda & Alejandro Vega - 1,125 pts - $1,000US
- 4th - Peninsula Fly & Big E - 600 pts
- 5th - Belizefly Gyalz - 525 pts
- 6th - Drunken Wranglers - 500
- 7th - Anglers Abroad & Superfly - 450 pts
- 8th - Freestone, BZ Young Gunz & La Familia - 375 pts
- 9th - El Diablo - 350 pts
- 10th - Idaho Boyz & Tangelo - 300 pts
Top 3 teams took home hand carved pendants made by Capt Robby along with 1st & 2nd place receiving two tickets each from Tropic Air. Each of their guides were awarded with a brand new pair of Costa Sunglasses.
- Top Female Angler - Courtney Marie Martin - Team Belizefly Gyalz
- Top Junior Angler - Daniel Smith - BZ Young Guns
- New Angler Award - Michael Guerrero - BZ Young Guns
The top female, top junior and new angler were all awarded with a brand new Hatch Reel, Scott Fly Rod (new Tidal Series) and pendants hand carved by Capt Robby.